Monday, February 27, 2012

The Formative Years of a Picky Eater

Everyone knows that kid...the one who only eats peanut butter sandwiches and chicken fingers and fries. Eventually, that kid grew up and started eating normal food. But what about the kid who didn't grow out if it? As a child, I was very selective about what I ate. I had my short list of foods, and I stuck fast too it.

It's been a long time, but if I had to come up with a list:
Peanut Butter (Creamy)
Jelly
Bread (but it better not have any crunchy seeds in it!)
McDonald's hamburgers
French Fries
Pizza (but I was very picky about the brand)
Chicken Tenders or Nuggets
My mom's (and aunt's) spaghetti sauce 
Certain shapes of noodles
Mac & Cheese (only from the Kraft box)
Certain brands of turkey hotdogs
Most standard fruit
Baked Beans (at least the ones that my mom made)
My Mom's Chili
Carrots
Corn
Cucumbers
Lettuce
Most normal breakfast foods (yogurt, pancakes, bagels, cereal, bacon, little smokies, eggs etc)
Cottage Cheese (though I eventually stopped eating this for many years.)
Desserts, though I wasn't a big fan of chocolate or anything with nuts in it.

I'm sure there were a few more things, but not many.

My parents tried in the beginning. There was the usual, "You need to at least try it," but honestly, it rarely worked. Maybe it was because they were both a bit picky themselves or maybe they just didn't think it was worth fighting with my absolute stubbornness. Probably it was both. The result though was that I would turn up my nose at most food without so much as tasting it. I don't blame them for this. I could, I guess, but why? They were (are) wonderful parents, and I wouldn't be who I am now without their guidance, love, prayers, and discipline. I remember other family members and friends being very frustrated with this stubborn little thing who wouldn't eat what was put in front of her.  Maybe my parents figured I would eventually grow out of it. Perhaps by the time they realized that wasn't happening, it was too late. I was what I was. I was going to be that girl forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment